Use a Halloween theme or purple, black and orange colours (or both, as I did)...what a challenge to my photography skills, if nothing else :)
We don't do Halloween at all in my family, though my daughter, who lived in America for some years has stories of how much attention folk there spend on decorations and foods during Halloween.
In Sydney I remember coming across many little hopeful Halloweenies around Darling Harbour in the season, but where I live in Hobart they are few and far between. May have something to do with the numbers of expatriate Americans about I guess...
I don't have much at all in the way of crafty bits and pieces for Halloween, but I do have one Stampin' Up set which I dusted off for the occasion. Coloured cardstock, a more ornate die set than I normally like to use, some mirror board and this is what I made. I like the slightly disconcerting effect the mirrored card has, it makes you think that the card is see through and then rather weirdly alters as you move it.
BTW, you wouldn't believe how brave I had to be to include the spider...in fact, even leaving it in the stamp set is pretty amazing for me. Getting it stamped onto shrink film, heating it with my heat gun, watching it writhe and wriggle almost had me running, however, the fact that the image is safely contained under the shrunken plastic disc is the only saving grace that allowed me to attach it to the banner on the card. Phew, the lengths we will go in pursuit of our crafty muse!
No-one in my immediate family would believe me if I told them that I willingly used an "s" image...just as well they don't check this blog out often, don't want them to get complacent about the amount of protection I need from this whole species...I don't need ghosties and goulies and bumps in the night, just a tiny multi-legged hairy number will do it every time.
I'm giving myself the creeps, so here is the card...
I cut out the card base in purple, the two mats, one in black and one in orange, and the purple banner.
Cut out the mirrored card to fit behind the black layer, used the sticky back to attach these to the card base.
I embossed the skull and bat images with black and then bleached out the skull, pumpkin features and the little curliques on the bat.
I adhered the orange layer onto the card.
I cut out the bat leaving a little orange border and adhered it into place with two glue dots to give it a little dimension.
I die cut the "happy" word and glued it in place with tiny dabs of glue.
I used the small alpha stamps to stamp the sentiment (deliberately wonkily, trust me!) on to the purple banner and adhered it into place with foam dots under the centre to hold it away from the orange mat, and adhered small black faceted jewels onto the ends.
I stamped the spider image onto a 2.5 cm circle of shrink film, placed it on my SU silicon mat and heated it with my embossing tool while holding it gently down with a bamboo skewer. When cool, I glued it to the banner with Glossy Accents.
That completed the card.
Things I used:
SU Stamp set - From the Crypt, PTI Small Alphabet
Cardstock - Coloured - various sources, Ranger - Mirrored Board & Clear Shrink Plastic
Die - Spellbinders - Radiant Rectangles, SSS Tilted Banners & Happy, SU 1" circle punch
Ink - Versamark, Memento Tuxedo Black, Ranger Archival - Jet Black
Black embossing powder - annabelle stamps
Adhesive - Tombow Mono-Multi Glue, Glue Arts permatac tape runner, Glossy Accents, SU Dimensional Foam
Other - SU silicone mat, small black faceted jewels
Thanks for calling by,